Cosy Hall was derelict until 1985, it had been a Music Hall in 1925, a Gospel Hall in 1881 and a coach manufactory in 1852.
The derelict building and the land adjoining was purchased by Clare Boughey and donated to the Cosy Hall Charity for the sum of £1.
Renovated, restored and enlarged, Cosy Hall is now Newport’s Community Building owned and managed by the community through the Charitable Trust and its Managing Trustees.
Designed in two phases, phase one was opened in November 1985 at a renovation cost of £75,000, raised by a wide range of local fundraising, together with grants from local authorities and agencies.
In 1998 the second phase of Cosy Hall was completed at a cost of £355,000, with a grant of £250,000 from the National Lottery through the Arts Council of England.
Now a multi-
The ground floor Gallery Rooms seats 40 – 80
The Green Room seats up to 20
The first floor Susan Miles Room seats 150
There is a lift to the first floor and the building is fully accessible for those with disabilities.
Cosy Hall is entirely self -
Major projects are funded through fundraising and grant applications.